Saturday, December 6, 2008

Advertising Affects - Discovercard

Has anyone seen the recent Discovercard commercial? I don't think this is a new commercial, but last night was my first encounter with it. Or at least the first time I paid attention to it. And let me say it irked me. The fact that I thought about it last night, and I'm blogging about it this morning tells you how much it affected me.

The commercial states:
"We're a nation of consumers. And there is nothing wrong with that. After all, there's alot of cool stuff out there. "
Isn't it this thought process why so many people are drowning in debt? After you've read enough personal finance blogs, it's evident that it was this sentiment that got many into trouble in the first place, and now trying to climb back up the rabbit hole.

It also closes with the claim that the company helps you attain "Less debt and more fun".
Note that it doesn't say NO debt and more fun. Just less debt. What is less debt? Less debt than what? And is that to mean that without debt, you're not having any fun in life?

Just needed to vent.

And the worst thing about it, I own a discovercard. Ha. Guess it doesn't annoy me enough to want to cancel the card.

Beyond Your Horizon

No comments: